1. Your personal data – what is it?
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”).
2. Who are we?
The True Jesus Church in Leicester is the data controller (contact details provided below). This means we decide how your personal data is processed and for what purposes.
3. How do we process your personal data?
The True Jesus Church in Leicester complies with our obligations under the GDPR by keeping personal data accurate and up to date, by storing and destroying it securely, by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data, by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure, and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To administer membership records;
- To inform you of news, events, activities and services at the True Jesus Church;
- To carry out pastoral care duties (for example, training, religious education and marriage counselling) and share your data with the True Jesus Church in other regions of the UK and the General Assembly of the True Jesus Church, United Kingdom (UKGA) for this purpose;
- To enable us to provide a voluntary service for the benefit of the public in a particular geographical area as determined by the True Jesus Church in Leicester;
- To fulfil legal obligations;
- To manage our volunteers and employees;
- To fund and promote the interests of the church as a charity;
- To maintain our own accounts and records (including the processing of Gift Aid applications);
- To share your contact details with the True Jesus Church in other regions of the UK as well as the UKGA so that they can keep you informed about news in the church and events, activities and services that will be occurring in all regions and in which you may be interested;
- To prevent and detect crime using CCTV (if this is in place).
4. What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
Processing is carried out by us as a not-for-profit body with a religious aim on the condition that:
the processing relates solely to members of the True Jesus Church in Leicester or those who have regular contact with us in connection with the purposes mentioned above; and
there is no disclosure to a third party out with the True Jesus Church without consent.
Processing is necessary for carrying out legal obligations in relation to Gift Aid, employment, social security or social protection law.
Your explicit consent (if given) for sharing your contact details with the True Jesus Church in other regions of the UK as well as the UKGA so that they can keep you informed about their church news, events, activities and services.
5. Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated as strictly confidential and will only be shared with other church members in order to carry out a service to them or for purposes connected with the church. We will only share your data with third parties outwith the True Jesus Church with your consent unless we are required or permitted to do so by law.
6. How long do we keep your personal data?
We retain electoral roll data while it is still current; Gift Aid declarations and associated paperwork for up to 10 years after the calendar year to which they relate; and church registers permanently.
7. Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption under the GDPR, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which the True Jesus Church in Leicester holds about you;
- The right to request that the True Jesus Church in Leicester corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date;
- The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for the True Jesus Church in Leicester to retain such data;
- The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time;
- The right to request that the data controller provide the data subject with his or her personal data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller, known as the right to data portability;
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request that a restriction is placed on further processing;
- The right to object to the processing of personal data;
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
8. Further processing
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose, not covered by this Privacy Notice, then we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
9. Contact details
To exercise all relevant rights, queries or complaints, please in the first instance contact the General Affairs Officer of the True Jesus Church in Leicester via email at Leicester@tjc.org, or by writing to ‘True Jesus Church, 5 Granville Road, Leicester LE1 7RU’.
If necessary, you can also contact the Information Commissioner’s Office via its website (https://ico.org.uk) or in writing to Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF.